Phonon 4.2 and integration for Qt 4.5

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Thu Jun 12 01:22:39 BST 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> How about we add some preprocessor logic to let the backend code explicitly
> say what version of the Phonon backend API it wants to implement? Then
> setting nothing would mean version <= 4.1. If you want to implement 4.2 you
> compile with -DPHONON_BACKEND_VERSION_4_2. It would additionally or
> alternatively be possible to ignore that macro and bump the interface
> version of the implementing class (i.e.
>   class AudioOutput : public Phonon::AudioOutputInterface
> becomes
>   class AudioOutput : public Phonon::AudioOutputInterface42
>
> What do you think?

This is about adding virtual methods to an interface, right?  Why don't you
just make the improved audio output interface subclass from the old one?

That way the backends which are recent enough to "know better" will implement
the new one, which will be still compatible with the old one, and yet it will
be source compatible as well since backends that don't "know better" will
simply implement the less capable interface.

Or would Phonon have trouble using either interface?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne