amaroK unstable

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Mon Sep 19 06:33:06 BST 2005

Hi Mark, hi all the amaroK developers!

I'm very glad I can write that the last svn versions of amaroK seem to be much
more stable than ever!
> On Friday 02 September 2005 08:14, Pavel Troller wrote:
> >   Recent versions of amaroK from SVN seem to have some problems with large
> > collections (my one has currently 6352 entries).
> >   When amaroK is started, it writes "Loading playlist" (probably, it's
> > written in my language). This phase seems very suboptimal. The playlist
> > window is being repeatedly redrawn really many times (at least 30x but
> > maybe more), but with the same contents, so it only flickers. The slider
> > frenetically jumps up and down (but the contents of the window doesn't
> > change). This phase lasts about 10 seconds long and amaroK very often
> > crashes during it. It simply disappears and doesn't give neither the
> > standard crash dialog, nor the crash-mail window.
Starting from my latest update, made 17. of September, amaroK didn't crash
nor freeze until now! I've even made a stress test by dragging the main music
directory (containing 7212 entries) to the playlist and amaroK chomped it well,
I even did it during playing and changed songs during loading (it took about
3 minutes :-) ) and all the windows were refreshed and new songs played. After
that, I quitted and restarted it several times. The multiple redraw and slider
jumping for such a long playlist is still there, but no crashes nor freezes!
Amarok always came up in about 10 seconds (remember, 7212 songs on the playlist)
and was ready to play.

> >   Another weak moment is when the first song is to be played. The same as
> > above applies. AmaroK sometimes crashes, sometimes freezes, sometimes
> > starts to play.
This point seems also to be fixed! Although I didn't anything yet, still using
the arts engine (artsd works well on my system), it always did what I wanted.
  Finally I managed it to crash by changing a song just in the moment it wrote
"Actualizing collection", it started to play the song but crashed about 15
seconds later with an unusable backtrace. However, this crash is atypical and
doesn't conform to those described before.
  So, many thanks, now I can really enjoy Your famous program!!
                                         With regards, Pavel Troller