A new problem with Amarok

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Fri Sep 30 05:07:52 BST 2005

Hi Mark, hi other amaroK guys,
  It's unbelievable that a few days after I wrote You that amaroK is finally
much more stable and that it almost doesn't crash or freeze, a new problem
occured: Now it doesn't like to appear when started.
  When I start it by icon after a long time of inactivity, when all its pages
are flushed from memory, it maybe starts. But when it's started immediately
after, it almost never appears. amarokapp process is visible in ps/top but
it doesn't run, CPU usage is zero, and no GUI appears. It should be killed
and a new start attempted.
  When it's started from konsole, it has much better chance to appear. It's
about 80%. And if started from gdb to eventually capture some backtraces,
it starts absolutely reliably at 100% rate :-).
  I've also found that when I enable the player window only, the rates are not
better but when I enable the playlist window only, it starts much better (until
now, it started always from about 10 trials but crashed immediately once).
  I've read in some recent info about amaroK (ChangeLog ?) that it can be
unstable on machines with HT. I don't have HT, I have two real horses under
the cover of the box: it's a Dual Athlon MSI board. The system is otherwise
very stable. I'm using it everydaily as my development machine, workstation,
even children are sometimes gaming on it, it never exposes any problems. Could
it be possible that all those my problems from the whole beginning are caused
by this ?
                            With regards,
			               Pavel Troller