amaroK unstable

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 2 19:09:37 BST 2005

On Friday 02 September 2005 10:45, Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > This is news to me. Could you provide a (valid) backtrace, make a bug
> > report and attach the backtrace, please?
>
> There's the problem: My system doesn't like to generate backtraces from
> amarok
>
> :-). I don't know why. Euen when there is a crash-mail generated, its
> : backtrace
>
> is useless.

It's not useless, though.  You yourself inferred from it that it appears to be
memory corruption of some type.  Which is, incidentally, a conclusion I would
agree with.

To see what's causing it though, can you report back as to your compiler
version, and whether that has been your compiler version? ;)

Traditionally C++ libraries have need to be rebuilt on major compiler
upgrades, and if you forgot a library (especially one that uses STL), things
may appear to work alright even though the slight library incompatibilies are
slowly corrupting memory.

Or it could just be a normal memory-eating bug. ;)

> > Are you referring to Gst-Engine? (please always state the engine you are
> > using, it's crucial). If so, don't use alsasink, but use osssink instead.
> > Gst-Engine has just been rewritten, and alsasink support is not yet
> > functional.
>
> I forgot to mention, sorry. I'm using Arts engine.
>
>                                With regards, Pavel Troller

I could be wrong but from my understanding the aRts engine is not
well-maintained.  Have you tried gstreamer or xine-lib's engine yet?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne