amaroK unstable

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Sep 3 06:03:56 BST 2005

> Well, just to isolate this as a possible cause, are you sure your
> hardware is stable? Download prime95 (
> http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm ) and run the torture test
> (mprime -t) for a bit -- if it goes for a few hours without erroring
> you should be fine. (Otherwise, there's the probable cause of your
> instabilities.)
> Also: do you notice anything similar in other apps, or just amaroK?
> and if you're compiling yourself, what flags are you using?
> and lastly, the arts engine is known to not be exemplary in its
> stability (works for some, but doesn't for others), and is likely the
> cause of the crash when starting playback, I think.

I know, the mail was really lengthy and boring, but I was just awaiting that
kind of answer :-), so the answer to Your hw stability question was almost
there :-) :
> >   Please believe me that the system is otherwise very stable, average uptime
> > is in a magnitude of months and reboot is always caused by the kernel upgrade
> > or similar things :-).
I'm appending: This is my main development machine. I'm stressing it to the
maximum very often. It can compile everything - all the KDE is compiled on it.
It can play UT for hours and compile KDE concurrently (it's a dual-CPU system)
without a glitch. And amaroK is really just the one that keeps crashing on it..
To the rest of Your questions: It's compiled with gcc-3.3.3, I plan to switch to
4.0.x soon but still didn't have enough time.
Normally I'm using -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer flags, but  of course when compiling
a debug version, the second one is omitted. Amarok is compiled for debugging now
and the crashes are the same as if it is not.
   libstdc++ version meets the compiler version.
  I plan one more test: I'll run mysql and use it instead of the built-in
sqlite. Maybe it will help, I have a hint from somebody that it at least speeds
things up, and mysql is proven as being very stable.
  Now I'm on my cottage far from the machine (which keeps running in my flat and
performs various tasks). I'll continue my experiments at Sunday evening. I'll
get and compile a new gstreamer and try the gst engine too.
                                                 With regards, Pavel Troller