make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Mar 25 20:11:45 GMT 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 23:34, Thomas Wilczek wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2005 15:50 schrieb Arnold Krille:
> > Just commenting on the battle-mixer-example:
> ...and we are getting off-topic here but i will bite ;)

Trying to get back on-topic...

> > What information do you get from a fft analyzer?
> as a dj or a signal processing dude? ;) some of the latter can even read
> whole sentences from a spectrum print...freaks, i know ;)

Yeah, but signal processing dudes and audio-engineers will use jack as their
audio-system and jaaa for the analyzer stuff. So they aren't the ones kde's
soundsystem is for. At least not for their professional work, perhaps for
mail-notification on the second pc...

> > Beat detection is nice to have but with usable controls of pitch and
> > tempo most DJ`s won't use it...
> ok, you should hear it, right? but some nummeric values are still nice to
> have - and the "bonus": it really sucks to do it right in software *hehe*
> > The ones really "using" these things are the ones coming from Winamp, not
> > the (semi-)professional ones...
> and those "real pros" would smash the laptop you brought with you on your
> head while killing anybody getting to close to their vinyl ;)

At least they don't get arrested for illegal mp3's...

But I already have seen guys (audio-engineers, not dj's) with laptop and a
professional usb of firewire interface and software for speaker-managament.So
there is professional use for such things, but they most certainly will use
jack (if they use linux).

> > So don't focus to much on the music<->graphical presentation
> > relationship.
> i've never done so - see above :) but i just hope a level meter is still
> ok... ;)

Okay, a levelmeter is okay. But please make it logarithmic! ;-)
Normal users won't distinguish it from linear ones, but users with more
knowledge will not get disturbed. :-)

> p.s.: can we sattle the "who-has-the-biggest...sound-effect-rack" match?

Mine supports jack_convolve with a latency of ~25msecs. :-P

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de
---