make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Mar 22 15:00:34 GMT 2005

Thomas Wilczek wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 22. März 2005 13:02 schrieb Marco Lohse:
>

>>>Would every NMM app have its own PlaybackNode or would you start one
>>>central NMM session per user (or per computer) that only handles the
>>>audio output, but then for all NMM apps (kind of like a soundserver).
>>
>>NMM is not a sound server. Every application will have its own
>>PlaybackNode. The PlaybackNode will then 'speak' with the sound server.
>

> hi!
>
> but, i thought it was a main goal to get rid off a sound server (arts) ...?
>
> right now, the playbacknode ist implemented as a "hardware node" afaik,
> directly connecting to /dev/dsp (oss) but regarding your last sentence i get
> the impression of a "facade node" for a given soundserver (mas, arts, ...).
>
> it seems like we are missing some kind of simple "mixer node" muxing all
> incoming request for a "hardware sink node" - the alsa dmix concept comes to
> my mind.

yes, I would prefer using alsa (or something else), too.

> hybrid approach: replace the current functionality of arts by a simple "mux
> node" -> "playbacknode" (e.g. alsa - but configurable) combo which is started
> only once for every existing "hardware sink node" and make only the "mux
> node" shared. any later session requesting a "playback sink node" would just
> connect to the "mux node".

yes, we could do that. Actually, implementing such a mux node using NMM
would be very easy. However, I would prefer to leave the actual audio
mixing to existing solutions, e.g. alsa. (We will still need an alsa
audio sink for NMM, but I guess we can provide that sooner or later)

> you could also insert some user defined "effect nodes" into that backend -
> e.g. some equalizer to compansate your crappy notebook speakers. think of
> your hi-fi amp unit... ;)

sure, I think Matthias currently prefers to use the NMM LADSPA node for
that, right?

Marco.