make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Wed Mar 23 09:00:45 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 16:00, Marco Lohse wrote:
> (We will still need an alsa
> audio sink for NMM, but I guess we can provide that sooner or later)

alsa, jack, polypaudio and MAS, I'd say. Looks like quite some work. I believe
alsa and jack are the two most important PlaybackNodes to have (though
they're pretty much Linux only).

> > you could also insert some user defined "effect nodes" into that backend
> > - e.g. some equalizer to compansate your crappy notebook speakers. think
> > of your hi-fi amp unit... ;);)
>
> sure, I think Matthias currently prefers to use the NMM LADSPA node for
> that, right?

Yes and no.
Thomas' idea was to use effects in the "soundserver". I don't think we really
need that. It should be enough if you can insert those effects into the media
player and save the settings there.
To use effects from a KDE API without deciding on the media framework we need
some common interface to work with. One common interface we could use is
LADSPA. Every media framework should support it - AFAIK only gstreamer and
NMM support it at this point.
But I'm planning on using special interfaces for effects that we know are
usefull to media player developers. So we would at least define interfaces
for a Fader and an Equalizer effect. This way you could integrate the EQ into
your application's skin and implement crossfading.

BTW, if you have more effect interfaces that a media app might need let me
know.

--
C'ya
        Matthias