make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Thomas Wilczek thomas.wilczek at gmx.de
Tue Mar 22 13:31:40 GMT 2005

Am Dienstag, 22. März 2005 13:02 schrieb Marco Lohse:

> > Would every NMM app have its own PlaybackNode or would you start one
> > central NMM session per user (or per computer) that only handles the
> > audio output, but then for all NMM apps (kind of like a soundserver).
>
> NMM is not a sound server. Every application will have its own
> PlaybackNode. The PlaybackNode will then 'speak' with the sound server.

hi!

but, i thought it was a main goal to get rid off a sound server (arts) ...?

right now, the playbacknode ist implemented as a "hardware node" afaik,
directly connecting to /dev/dsp (oss) but regarding your last sentence i get
the impression of a "facade node" for a given soundserver (mas, arts, ...).

it seems like we are missing some kind of simple "mixer node" muxing all
incoming request for a "hardware sink node" - the alsa dmix concept comes to
my mind.

hybrid approach: replace the current functionality of arts by a simple "mux
node" -> "playbacknode" (e.g. alsa - but configurable) combo which is started
only once for every existing "hardware sink node" and make only the "mux
node" shared. any later session requesting a "playback sink node" would just
connect to the "mux node".

you could also insert some user defined "effect nodes" into that backend -
e.g. some equalizer to compansate your crappy notebook speakers. think of
your hi-fi amp unit... ;)

Thomas

p.s.: sorry for interferencing :P