make_it_cool: kdelibs/kdemm

Marco Lohse mlohse at cs.uni-sb.de
Tue Mar 22 12:02:37 GMT 2005

Matthias Kretz wrote:
> So you can actually decide for every node whether you want to share it?

yes

> We probably need to take care with kdemm then, that we don't create a big mess
> of available NMM sessions. How would you suggest to use NMM on a desktop
> computer - or even on a multiuser desktop computer (user1 logs in, locks the
> desktop, user2 starts a second X session - both sessions use kdemm/NMM for
> multimedia).

no problem: every application simply requests its own exclusive NMM flow
graph; no need to share anything. E.g. if you want to play back a file,
you usually do not need to share any part of your NMM flow graph.

In contrast: assume that you only have a single TV board available
within your system (or within the network in general, since NMM is
network transparent). If an application requests an NMM plug-in
representing that TV board, it might want to share it (because it is a
'nice' application). Now, another application can try to request a TV
board, too. Since only a single board is available, NMM allows to share
this single device between different applications.

This is all handled automatically within NMM. The application developer
simply can specify an optional 'sharing attribute' for each plug-in node
within the flow graph. (If you are interested in the more technical
aspects of the NMM session sharing service, there is a research paper
available online.)

> Would every NMM app have its own PlaybackNode or would you start one central
> NMM session per user (or per computer) that only handles the audio output,
> but then for all NMM apps (kind of like a soundserver).

NMM is not a sound server. Every application will have its own
PlaybackNode. The PlaybackNode will then 'speak' with the sound server.