aRts in trunk

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 29 23:55:58 BST 2005

On Friday 29 July 2005 10:14, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Does anyone have an objection to aRts being removed from trunk?  If not
> I'll give him the "ok" in the next day or so.

I have no objections.  In fact I'd like it to be removed.  Although not for
the reasons that there was a big flamewar over.

I'd like it removed because if not we'd have two independent copies of arts in
trunk.  Branch 1.5 (which will be released with KDE 3.5, no?), and /trunk.
Any fixes that get applied should get applied to both, and so it makes no
sense to have both, as it's likely that they'll get out of sync
unnecessarily.

svn will check out any URL you give to it, and if you're using kdesvn-build
you can just stick "branch 1.5" into your arts module config, re-checkout,
and be done with it.

The only issue is that branch 1.5 is supposed to be frozen for bugfixes but
since aRts is currently unmaintained I don't see that as a huge issue.

As a conclusion I can say after reading the thread that I don't see what the
huge issue is with removing the /trunk copy of aRts.  aRts would still be in
svn ,you'd just be checking out from a different URL (or if it's already
checked out you'd have to svn switch, not the end of the world).  So there's
no technical reason that aRts must be in /trunk to develop apps against it.

So regardless of technical merits of competing sound systems (and I'll admit,
aRts + aKode has treated me much, much better than gstreamer on my system),
the only thing that having aRts in /trunk would do is create an aRts fork.

If it turns out later that people are willing to actually add enough features
to aRts to warrant a development branch then we can do so then.  Until then,
code duplication is still teh suck.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne