Towards a common CDDB info UI, starting with kscd.

Richard Lärkäng nouseforaname at home.se
Sun Jan 16 19:37:09 GMT 2005

Hi!

On Thursday 13 January 2005 08.09, Shaheed wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 January 2005 16:52, Richard Lärkäng wrote:
> > I'm still not really convinced that we want the same dialog in
> > kaudiocreator and kscd, but if we want that, I would actually prefer
> > something more like the one in kaudiocreator.
> >
> > First, the one in kaudiocreator is quite clean, while the one in kscd
> > looks too busy, and it has to be huge to be able to display all the
> > information, with the default size I only see the track title column.
>
> Yes, its bigger because (a) it allows all aspects of the CDDB record to be
> viewed and modified and (b) because it shows all tracks simultaneously. I'd
> be interested to know which fields you might want to suppress: maybe I
> could provide some kind of a bitmask of items which should/should not be
> displayed?

What is it that you can't change in the dialog in kaudiocreator?

> Mind you, I don't get why, if I have bothered to go into edit mode on a
> CDDB record, I'd want to be hamstrung in my editing efforts by not being
> able to modify whatever the protocol says I can?
>
> On the other hand, its not clear to me that kaudiocreator gets it right
> either:
>
> - Its supposedly minimalist approach is marred by having the per-track
> artist permanently on display; only a tiny fraction of albums fall into the
> semantics defined by CDDB for the use of this field.

Would it be better if the per-track artist lineedit was hidden when it wasn't
needed?

> - Am I allowed to change the genre/year/album for each track? The UI
> implies that I can.

I thought the group-boxes made that clear, but maybe it would be more clear if
the buttons Next/Previous track was moved into the "Current track" group-box.

> - I also find the navigation between tracks awkward: when editing an album,
> I prefer to have the context of the other tracks helpful (and its only
> 10-20 lines for most albums, with less than 10 visible by default in the
> new dialog).

Yes, it is probably helpful, but when too much is displayed it's a bit hard to
take advantage of it. If we still want to show all tracks, I would prefer if
the length, revision, disc-id and category was removed and we skipped the
handling of per-track artists in KsCD to make it look less busy.

> Shaheed

Richard Lärkäng