Towards a common CDDB info UI, starting with kscd.

Richard Lärkäng nouseforaname at home.se
Mon Jan 3 19:31:48 GMT 2005

Hi!

On Monday 03 January 2005 18.53, Shaheed wrote:
> Richard,
>
> I have been working on bringing the CDDB info UI in kscd to a more
> functional state (with the secondary hope that it may form the beginning of
> a common CDDB info UI for all kdemultimedia apps).

Thanks for doing that, I can't say I like designing UI's too much myself.

One difference between kaudiocreator and kscd is that kaudiocreator has a
possibility to set different artists for different tracks, which I don't
think that is necessary in kscd, but very useful in kaudiocreator. Just
something to keep in mind if you really want to share the ui for both the
apps.

> The current state is that the .ui file now looks about as complete as I
> think it needs to be - but actually it isn't yet really updating the
> previously unsupported fields. I'll do that, along with more testing in the
> next days.
>
> I know that you have been working on updating libkcddb; do you feel there
> is anything I need to do/not do to avoid getting into trouble with this
> last step?

If you haven't, you might want to check out
http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=38
which is some guidelines for freedb support, most of it is taken care of by
libkcddb, but some parts apply to kscd.

One thing about the UI, I think it would be better if the Category list box
was a label instead, as you shouldn't change the category on a new revision,
and instead add the old dialog back for selecting the category only once.

Also, the genre should be possible to edit freely, I guess setting the
editable-property to true would be enough.

And one last thing, the lineedit for changing the year would probably make
more sense as a spinbox instead.

> Thanks, Shaheed
>
> P.S. please CC me on any replies to the list!

Richard