kaboodle -> kmplayer

Michael Pyne pynm0001 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 24 02:06:37 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 04:17 pm, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> I propose to replace Kaboodle with KMPlayer in kdemultimedia.
> KMplayer can play much more sound and video files than kaboodle.

This is definitely true.

> The integration as a kpart into khtml is
> also much better.

Well, I don't know.  I tried Apple's movie trailer site, and a KMPlayer window
shows up, but I can never get it to actually play the movie.  I don't know
whether to blame this on KMPlayer or the underlying backend, but if you're
the end user that distinction really doesn't matter. :-(

Also, I was doing some testing with it in Konqueror, and one thing that I
noticed is that Kaboodle looks nicer as a plain KPart playing an audio file.
I'm assuming that "Embedded Media Player" is Kaboodle for this argument, if
it isn't, then I withdraw that objection.

> KMplayer is well maintained be Koos Vriezen.

This is good, because Kaboodle is without a maintainer now.  Can't be that
hard to deal with, but still.

> KMPlayer has of course all the advantages of Kaboodle. Is't small, fast and
> very easy to use.

Well I would object to this as well.  Or at least, I don't see a difference
between Kaffeine and KMPlayer in this regard (except for the Kaffeine
spinning beanie thingy).  But I don't think that either Kaffeine or KMPlayer
is as small or easy to use as Kaboodle.

> I would like to move kmplayer from kdeextragear-2 to kdemultimedia and
> kaboodle from kdemultimedia to kdeextragear-2
>
> What do you think?

I would say "not yet".  Trust me, I would *LOVE* for kdemultimedia to gain a
decent media player program (although I don't really care if it's KMPlayer or
Kaffeine or whatever else at this point).  But just from my testing of the
program (kmplayer-0.8.3-rc5, latest as of this writing), I don't think it's
ready to get into KDE.

I think my biggest objection is, and I know this sounds ridiculously pedantic,
the fact that the buttons are so small.  It's not that they're hard to click,
it's just that they are almost eyesores that way.  It could also use some
usability lovin', you may want to email kde-quality and/or kde-usability to
get some further advice.

Or I could be completely wrong, but that's my opinion.

One thing I want to know is, does kaboodle export any interfaces for use with
other programs (besides the KPart interfaces that KMPlayer can replace)?  If
so, we may not be able to remove it in KDE 3 anyways.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne