summary of the aKademy meetings

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 10:43:55 BST 2004

On Monday 2004 September 06 02:13 am, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> Right now you can see kdemm as a showcase of different options, we would
> like people to try it out, break it, come up with experience-based
> recommendations for a default framework for KDE 4, rather than the
> guesswork, drinking games and numerology we would have used to pick on at
> aKademy.

Wait, wait, wait, this is just for KDE 3.4?

My objections have all been shattered.  While at the same time I find it quite
stupid to introduce *yet another* API just for 3.4. So under those
conditions, I again don't see the point.

So, to summarize:

Advantages:
 - A single API (like with KAudioPlayer which itself could be abstracted to do
this anyway)

Disadvantages:
 - We'll get lazy and stick with this stuff for 4.0.
 - Another API
 - More stuff in kdelibs, one that's very weak
 - Still won't make us actually audiosystem agnostic
 - API changing once now for 3.4, and again 4.0

( The following is neither here nor there, please ignore it :)

Now to explain why I like nmm.  When we do at last decide on the 3.4 we'll be
looking at the following things:
- api stability
 It's likely the NMM team could be convinced to keep an ABI stable for the KDE
project
- functionality
 their presentation had stuff that Works Right Now (And is both impressive and
much more than we can do right now)
- KDE similarity
 It (more or less) uses KDE (Java)-style function names & it's C++.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
 Don't changes horses in the middle of an apocalypse!