summary of the aKademy meetings

Allan Sandfeld Jensen allan at carewolf.com
Mon Sep 6 10:13:53 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 05:01, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Sunday 2004 September 05 07:20 pm, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > *) We'll have a simple, abstract player interface that can handle audio
> > or video and is not tied to a specific backend.  This interface will
> > support most of the common cases that application developers need.
>
> Why? I would like a rationale.
>
> This doesn't seem like it solves any problem other than our indecision and
> giving some of us warm fuzzy feelings.

No, basically the decision more less sums upto, that currently there is no
framework that does everything we want. Just one of the features neither NMM
nor GStreamer has is API/ABI stability: We need a plugin system under all
circumstances to provide a stable API/ABI for a moving target.
Another features all the frameworks except aRts lack is a KDE API, we need the
kdemm stuff to provide that as well.

Right now you can see kdemm as a showcase of different options, we would like
people to try it out, break it, come up with experience-based recommendations
for a default framework for KDE 4, rather than the guesswork, drinking games
and numerology we would have used to pick on at aKademy.

The most likely scenario from this point will be for gstreamer to pick up
momentum from being possible to use in both KDE and GNOME, and eclipse the
alternatives, but personally I will fight for NMM to kick ass.

`Allan