summary of the aKademy meetings

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 09:14:50 BST 2004

On Monday 06 September 2004 05:18, Charles Samuels wrote:
> As I figure, the only thing it solves is that it gives us a simple API.
> The fact is that it's a bloated simple API because of the plugins.

What exactly is bloated about it? The fact that you interface and
implementation are separate, and therefor every call to a method has to go
through the virtual table?
Or do you mean the backend loading that happens at construction of the
Factory?

> As amaroK insists on supporting every system out there, that doesn't
> matter. Noatun will require a specific API (probably NMM).
>
> In other words KDE will eventually require a single API, so this entire
> pluggable thing will only result in bloat.

But I don't want to force that non-Qt/KDE API on KDE developers. They should
be able to choose what they want.

Just to get an overview what the multiple backends give us:
- Independent from the API/ABI stability of the multimedia Frameworks since
for an incompatible version you can just add a new backend - no code using
kdemm broken.
- Compatible to KDE 2 and 3: When KDE 4 comes out some people still might be
using aRts apps and therefor might require the aRts backend to be used.
- Independent from the success of the multimedia Framework we chose. If we
decide to go for gstreamer only and then MAS becomes the preferred multimedia
system for Linux we're stuck with gstreamer - just like we have it now with
aRts.
- I'd guess if we have to decide on the one and only framework now we'd take
gst, but then you have those anti-glib fanatics ;-) flaming again because of
a hard dependence of KDE against glib. (pretty much a moot point)
- KDE can fit better into different requirements/environments:
Users/Admins might want to use some special features of that one multimedia
framework that isn't possible with another framework (yet). I'd like to give
them the freedom to chose that framework then.

about fragmentation in the multimedia apps:
It probably cannot get worse than what we have now with apps using
mplayer/xine/gstreamer/aRts. And it probably wouldn't if we choose one
backend since the will always be apps using something different than the KDE
core.

--
C'ya
        Matthias