summary of the aKademy meetings

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 04:18:21 BST 2004

On Sunday 2004 September 05 08:12 pm, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> And really -- I think aside from Noatun (amaroK has its own backend layer
> that will likely stay) it covers pretty much every app in CVS since amaroK
> and Noatun are the only two things that do anything special with the sound.
>  So, yeah, it actually does solve most of the problems.
>
> I'd still like to have a recommended low level API for people that need
> such because I'd like to have that offered as part of our "platform", but I
> was in the minority on that.

As I figure, the only thing it solves is that it gives us a simple API.  The
fact is that it's a bloated simple API because of the plugins.

As amaroK insists on supporting every system out there, that doesn't matter.
Noatun will require a specific API (probably NMM).

In other words KDE will eventually require a single API, so this entire
pluggable thing will only result in bloat.

Thus, it doesn't solve any problem that can't be solved much more simply. And
it creates the problem of fragmentation.  We'll either have a million systems
that all have few features, or we'll have applications each of which
requiring a system of their own.

In other words, I'm strongly opposed to this kdemm stuff, and I highly desire
that we choose a system and make it exclusively used by KDE (what amaroK does
internally is its own business).

I personally like NMM the most, but that doesn't matter as long as we just
pick one.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
 Don't changes horses in the middle of an apocalypse!