summary of the aKademy meetings

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Mon Sep 6 09:34:57 BST 2004

On Montag September 6 2004 10:14, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> - Independent from the success of the multimedia Framework we chose. If we
> decide to go for gstreamer only and then MAS becomes the preferred
> multimedia system for Linux we're stuck with gstreamer - just like we have
> it now with aRts.

The only thing independent from the backend will be kdelibs.

> - I'd guess if we have to decide on the one and only framework now we'd
> take gst, but then you have those anti-glib fanatics ;-) flaming again
> because of a hard dependence of KDE against glib. (pretty much a moot
> point)

And the "there is not even a working C++ wrapper for gst"-people too :P

> - KDE can fit better into different requirements/environments:
> Users/Admins might want to use some special features of that one multimedia
> framework that isn't possible with another framework (yet). I'd like to
> give them the freedom to chose that framework then.

Just make knotify use whatever "play" app is installed and be done, no API
needed.

> about fragmentation in the multimedia apps:
> It probably cannot get worse than what we have now with apps using
> mplayer/xine/gstreamer/aRts. And it probably wouldn't if we choose one
> backend since the will always be apps using something different than the
> KDE core.

And one day kdemultimedia will depend on all of them because every app needs a
different backend, that will be fun for packagers.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein