KDE 4 Multimedia: The Answer

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 24 17:23:43 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 12:16, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> little less that MAS, but MAS seems to lag in community development.
We can fix that by using it ;-)

From what I heard until now it seems that gstreamer is more the codec thingy
and MAS could very well be used as the network transparency layer with
gstreamer.

OTOH we have actually 4 possibilities: arts, gstreamer, MAS, NMM, plus various
combinations between them...

> mplayer/xine are the best apps we can compare them to.
> How much memory/CPU does framework XYZ use? how much mplayer/xine?
> How many frames are dropped, how many are out of sync with framework XYZ?
> how many with mplayer/xine?
> This are the benchmark I was thing about.

Yes, good idea. But it requires some work to get good numbers. E.g. "out of
sync" is a vague term, hard to count.

> > What other portable, mdoular
> > multimedia interface that does audio and video did you have in mind?
>
> The one MNN provides. The one MNN provides _now_ and GStreamer _will_
> provide in a few releases (maybe the gst one will be even better, I'm not
> an expert, I can't judge).

I don't have anything against NMM, but since it is a university project, could
it be possible that the responsible professors might want to keep some
control over the project ? Which means that it might happen that someday not
practical issues might be the most important for them ?

Bye
Alex