KDE 4 Multimedia: The Answer

Gioele Barabucci dev at gioelebarabucci.com
Tue Feb 24 11:16:09 GMT 2004

Neil Stevens wrote:
> Please point me to a portable, modular multimedia interface that does
> audio and video that isn't written in C, and I'll gladly support it.
NMM: Qt style C++. I really like it, surely more than GStreamer, maybe a
little less that MAS, but MAS seems to lag in community development.

> Also, KDE is adopting many things based in C.  Language issues alone are
> no reason to reject it.
I fully agree, but I prefer to stick to (good written) C++ when possible.
For example I would never use the C++ matroska demuxer now that a C one has
emerged and is written in a cleaner/simplier way.

> As for benchmarks, there needs to be something to compare them with in
> order for the benchmark to mean anything.
mplayer/xine are the best apps we can compare them to.
How much memory/CPU does framework XYZ use? how much mplayer/xine?
How many frames are dropped, how many are out of sync with framework XYZ?
how many with mplayer/xine?
This are the benchmark I was thing about.

> What other portable, mdoular
> multimedia interface that does audio and video did you have in mind?
The one MNN provides. The one MNN provides _now_ and GStreamer _will_
provide in a few releases (maybe the gst one will be even better, I'm not
an expert, I can't judge).

--
Gioele