KDE 4 Multimedia: The Answer

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at m4x.org
Mon Feb 23 18:17:19 GMT 2004

I'm new to the list, so I'm sorry if I don't have the knowledge of aRts and
the current KDE/Multimedia goals. I have begun to write a player and a
inspector for GStreamer using the QGst bindings from Tim Jansen.

The design goals of GStreamer are quite impressive. It is designed to be
used for any task in need of a data pipeline. The current <<stable>>
release does work in the audio and video areas, but the A/V sync is very
VERY bad. It looks like the upcoming 0.8 release will be a lot better.

The only drawback of GStreamer is that it is based on glib. Of course, it
is not a limitation for using the framework, but if one KDE developer
wants to write a plugin, he will have to learn glib. And I don't see how a
C++ developer can like GLib (but that's because I love C++).

On the good side, the GStreamer developer don't want to be GNOME-centric.
They do care of being used by anyone (and by KDE), and as such I think
they will try to avoid any compatibility problem between GLib and the KDE
libraries

It's quite good on the speed side. I tried to compare mplayer, xine and
gstreamer a few months ago, and it did compete well. (much better than
aRts...)

Best regards
--
Sylvain Joyeux