aRts maintenance

Michael Donaghy mdonaghy at cwazy.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 18:44:11 GMT 2004

On Friday 03 Dec 2004 09:25, mETz wrote:
> On Donnerstag Dezember 2 2004 23:13, Michael Donaghy wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 17:46 +0100, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > > Moin,

> > > With everbody saying that (at least) artsd is dead I really doubt
> > > anybody will maintain it (all I hear about artsd is "bleh, crashy,
> > > blub" although it works well enough here). Quite a loss IMHO,
> > > especially with all the little things I squeezed out of it (like "the
> > > most stable shoutcast streaming plugin ever" aka floodcast) and which I
> > > have to reimplement on another backend (whatever that will be).
> >
> > Yeah, that seems to be the way of things, but I'll miss it. It could
> > mean the death of noatun, which I would consider a shame since I did my
> > first proper bit of coding for it, but I suppose amarok (which is not
>
> So why don't you go on with coding? :)

In all seriousness, I'm willing to do it if there's no-one else. However, I'm
woefully under-qualified, I wouldn't know a std::vector if you hit me over
the head with it, and I've never done a CVS commit. But even if there are no
new major releases, there should be someone to control the addition of
bugfixes. There's nothing worse than a piece of software that just stops
halfway through a development version. But if I do it, expect a lot of
questions on what a patch I've just been sent does.

> > tied to arts) has overtaken it these days. Still, thanks for everything,
> > and I will miss arts.
>
> 1. I'm in the process of making the player backend a plugin in Noatun, I
> certainly won't let it die just because artsd has become outdated

Good. It's got one of the nicest APIs I've ever used. (I'm still reeling from
my attempt to make a giFT G2 plugin, where I was trying to implement two apis
which only had one decent set of samples and one decent api doc between them)

> 2. I don't like how Amarok and JuK work (I don't need/want a music-library,
> I have a filesystem), this only strengthens 1.

I don't mind this, and to be honest if amarok had a plugin system comparable
to noatun's I'd be ok seeing it die. But noatun is the only player I've been
able to program my own stuff for, apart from the one I wrote myself of
course.