aRts maintenance

Stefan Gehn mETz81 at web.de
Thu Dec 2 16:46:19 GMT 2004

Moin,

Am Donnerstag, 2. Dezember 2004 16:10 schrieb Stefan Westerfeld:
> If you looked closely at my latest aRts commits, you probably already saw
> that I almost didn't work on it lately. I thought quite a bit about this -
> as it is hard to definitely stop coding on a long term project - but I came
> to the conclusion that I will no longer work on it. I think its better to
> definitely draw the line here, so that a new maintainer can be found and/or
> plans on how to proceed without aRts for KDE can be made and implemented.

With everbody saying that (at least) artsd is dead I really doubt anybody will
maintain it (all I hear about artsd is "bleh, crashy, blub" although it works
well enough here). Quite a loss IMHO, especially with all the little things I
squeezed out of it (like "the most stable shoutcast streaming plugin ever"
aka floodcast) and which I have to reimplement on another backend (whatever
that will be).

> Part of this of course already started anyway, and I hope that KDE4,
> whatever it will use for "the multimedia stuff" will provide an even better
> user experience than KDE1, KDE2 and KDE3 did ;). I surely would enjoy using

AFAIK there will be a keep-it-simple-stupid approach that suffices KNotify and
smaller games. Every real sound-application will have to reinvent the wheel
and choose a new sound-backend (which will then force users to install a
dozen different sound systems/servers/whatever) :(

Bye, Stefan aka mETz