Patch for Noatun's Split Playlist

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Sun May 18 10:26:18 BST 2003

Moin,

On Sunday May 18 2003 05:52, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:31 pm, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> > belonged there.  I don't think they belong in the File menu, which I
> > think is for things that operate on the document as whole (things like
> > saving, exporting, printing, etc.).
>
> I should mention that I was never totally happy with my changes to the menu
> arrangement, and that I don't think the File menu is a terrible place for
> those actions, just not ideal.  I don't think Edit is ideal either.  I wish

Same for me, I'm neither satisfied with my new arrangement nor am I satisfied
with yours, though both make sense in some way. Sometimes these simple things
can get really complicated :)

> - KMail's composer puts "Insert File" in the Message menu
> - KOffice apps all have an Insert menu
Not sure if it's ok to create another menubar item for two actions. I think
the menu will look a bit empty then (currently this is also the case with my
edit menu but otoh I want to add more things in there)

> Anyway, this is your project, so do what feels right.  =)  If you want to
> really rock, though, do some really simple user testing: make a picture of
> the UI, including the menu, on a piece of paper, and then ask people where
> they would click to add a file to the playlist.  (Try it with and without
> an Insert menu.)  Ask them why they would click there.  Ask everyone you

Hmm, good idea, I'll make a screenshot of two different menubars (no popups
shown) and see what my friends think about it :)

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn_AT_gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein