Patch for Noatun's Split Playlist

Nathaniel W. Turner nate at houseofnate.net
Sun May 18 04:52:40 BST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 11:31 pm, Nathaniel W. Turner wrote:
> belonged there.  I don't think they belong in the File menu, which I think
> is for things that operate on the document as whole (things like saving,
> exporting, printing, etc.).

I should mention that I was never totally happy with my changes to the menu
arrangement, and that I don't think the File menu is a terrible place for
those actions, just not ideal.  I don't think Edit is ideal either.  I wish
there was more consistent precedent for this.  =)

- KMail's composer puts "Insert File" in the Message menu
- KOffice apps all have an Insert menu

... not a lot of apps that make documents out of other documents.  (of course,
now that I've said that, I'm sure someone will think of like 20 more.. =)

Anyway, this is your project, so do what feels right.  =)  If you want to
really rock, though, do some really simple user testing: make a picture of
the UI, including the menu, on a piece of paper, and then ask people where
they would click to add a file to the playlist.  (Try it with and without an
Insert menu.)  Ask them why they would click there.  Ask everyone you see.
Take it to the local pub.  Hmm... well, maybe that's going to far...  =)

Ok, definately time for bed...
Goodnight,
nate

--