arts active but no sound

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Fri Aug 15 18:15:58 BST 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 23:37, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Thursday August 14 2003 18:39, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > What problem can it be, if I have an active arts (see artsshell status
> > below), but when I play a song with noatun, I simply hear nothing?
> > (Yes, I have checked the volume with kmix)
>
> I have no idea, judging from the artsshell output and that noatun appears
> in the Audio Manager it really should work. I.e. I've never seen something
> like it...

I'll try to test it - maybe there were really two instances of arts running.
Hmm .. this shouldn't be possible, right?

> > If I open atrscontrol and have a look into Audio Manager, I have a list
> > of about 15 entries, all without a text in the "Title" column, and all of
> > them saying "play out_soundcard" (only the last entry is noatun play
> > out_soundcard).
>
> I'd like to know what those entries are. What multimedia programs do you
> use that could output to aRts?

Hmm ... I don't know exactly, because I tested some recently:
noatun, kmplayer

> > artscontrol also displays a static (means: no change in height as when it
> > works correctly) volume bar at about 24
>
> Could be a hanging soundserver or a constant output from a program - but
> since you say noatun is sending sounds to artsd it should be moving.

I don't know if noatun sent really data to artsd (because I heard nothing),
there was just an entry showing also noatun.

> > Working with KDE-3.1.2 on RedHat 7.2 on a Laptop.
> > Can it be a problem with the Laptop suspend? (Because yesterday it
> > already worked)
>
> Laptop suspend can do any undefined behavior to your system, so this is a
> yes. But most of the time it still works.

Yes, normally I don't have such problems...

> > artsshell status:
> > server status: busy
> > real-time status: not started through real-time wrapper
> > server buffer time: 46.4399 ms
> > buffer size multiplier: 1
> > minimum stream buffer time: 46.4399 ms
> > auto suspend time: 0 s
> > audio method: oss
> > sampling rate: 44100
>
> Didn't you say you had problems with the speed of the playback. Please try
> to use 48000 as sample rate - it might fix more problems than are obvious.

OK, I'll try.

> > channels: 2
> > sample size: 16 bits
> > duplex: half
> > device: /dev/dsp
> > fragments: 8
> > fragment size: 1024
> >
> > ps -ef|grep arts
> > root     24406 23395  1 15:23 pts/7    00:03:34 artsd -l 0
> > root     24408 24406  0 15:23 pts/7    00:00:00 artsd -l 0
>
> So you started it manually with debug output. Is there anything the debug
> output could tell?

Yes.
e.g. that artsd started, but doesn't use oss or whatever, but instead using
null

BTW: what is the sense behind running artsd with the null-output device ?
If I can't hear anything, what is it worth having artsd running?

> > root      5745 22590  0 18:31 pts/5    00:00:02 artscontrol
> >
> > BTW: Is there any possibility to cancel a job which is displayed in the
> > audio- manager of artscontrol?
>
> If you know what process is holding a reference to the AudioMangerClient
> you can kill that process, but there's nothing artsd can do.

I don't know how artsd is working with multiple processes, but
can artsd not simply close the connection to a process, or clean the queue?

- --
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin

Public key at: