arts active but no sound

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu Aug 14 22:37:51 BST 2003

On Thursday August 14 2003 18:39, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What problem can it be, if I have an active arts (see artsshell status
> below), but when I play a song with noatun, I simply hear nothing?
> (Yes, I have checked the volume with kmix)

I have no idea, judging from the artsshell output and that noatun appears in
the Audio Manager it really should work. I.e. I've never seen something like
it...

> If I open atrscontrol and have a look into Audio Manager, I have a list of
> about 15 entries, all without a text in the "Title" column, and all of them
> saying "play out_soundcard" (only the last entry is noatun play
> out_soundcard).

I'd like to know what those entries are. What multimedia programs do you use
that could output to aRts?

> artscontrol also displays a static (means: no change in height as when it
> works correctly) volume bar at about 24

Could be a hanging soundserver or a constant output from a program - but since
you say noatun is sending sounds to artsd it should be moving.

> Working with KDE-3.1.2 on RedHat 7.2 on a Laptop.
> Can it be a problem with the Laptop suspend? (Because yesterday it already
> worked)

Laptop suspend can do any undefined behavior to your system, so this is a yes.
But most of the time it still works.

> artsshell status:
> server status: busy
> real-time status: not started through real-time wrapper
> server buffer time: 46.4399 ms
> buffer size multiplier: 1
> minimum stream buffer time: 46.4399 ms
> auto suspend time: 0 s
> audio method: oss
> sampling rate: 44100

Didn't you say you had problems with the speed of the playback. Please try to
use 48000 as sample rate - it might fix more problems than are obvious.

> channels: 2
> sample size: 16 bits
> duplex: half
> device: /dev/dsp
> fragments: 8
> fragment size: 1024
>
> ps -ef|grep arts
> root     24406 23395  1 15:23 pts/7    00:03:34 artsd -l 0
> root     24408 24406  0 15:23 pts/7    00:00:00 artsd -l 0

So you started it manually with debug output. Is there anything the debug
output could tell?

> root      5745 22590  0 18:31 pts/5    00:00:02 artscontrol
>
> BTW: Is there any possibility to cancel a job which is displayed in the
> audio- manager of artscontrol?

If you know what process is holding a reference to the AudioMangerClient you
can kill that process, but there's nothing artsd can do.

--
C'ya
        Matthias
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de