kdemultimedia/noatun/library

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Sat Aug 31 23:08:00 BST 2002

Saturday 31 August 2002 02:53 pm, skrev Neil Stevens:
> On Saturday August 31, 2002 02:44, Charles Samuels wrote:
> > Saturday 31 August 2002 01:51 pm, skrev Neil Stevens:
> > > What will removing it from the release achieve that shipping it in a
> > > beta did not?  We can't fix problems we can't find, and not shipping
> > > the plugin will deny us the ability to get testers.
> >
> > I'l give us a chance to fix the big problems that we do know about,
> > particularly it taking 85MB memory, Xine still forgetting about it's
> > settings, Xine using OpenGL drawing by default instead of Xshm or XV.
> > And many of the problems are of course not our fauilt, but the Xine
> > team's. However, just because it's not our fault doesn't mean we should
> > ship it.
> >
> > I'm worried that we're going to get hundreds of bug reports, that of
> > course I, solely, will be blamed for.  It's happened before.
>
> Then disable video support in Noatun, if you find it unstable.

That's even worse. You can't have a feature on one version which is gone the
next.

> > This very thread started with a bug that I recently exposed, Ewald
> > improved the situation slightly, but it's still broken.
> >
> > Even if it takes major workarounds to make fix some of these bugs, like
> > making Xine's plugin fork on load, so that the 85MB of ram is only used
> > when playing something.
> >
> > There is NO way we can release this code.  Mpeglib works so much better
> > RIGHT NOW that it's ridiculous to even have this discussion.
>
> Reasonable people can disagree.

Yes, but you're not reasonable :)

> > > Of course, requiring a cvs version is also denying us testing at
> > > present, but that's why I asked about when Xine is scheduled for the
> > > next release.
> >
> > So we released a beta version that nobody could use in the first place?
> > That's effectively saying that we didn't have a beta release at all.
> > All the more reason to wait until 3.2.
>
> A majority of respondents to my poll said it did work.  You and I are in
> the minority.

Oh, it works for me, it just takes some prodding and hacking.  Like running
the Xine GUI and playing with that.  And even then, the xine UI is so bad
it's not easy.  I think you might need to use the command line...

- --
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
### <charles at altair.dhs.org> is obsolete, please update your addressbook.
 "The world is my circuit board, and I am the electron."