Arts-Network-transparency

Arnold Krille kde at arnoldarts.de
Tue Aug 27 22:27:50 BST 2002

On Tuesday 27 August 2002 17:15, Cajus Pollmeier wrote:
> On Sonntag, 25. August 2002 00:09, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > I just tried the aRts-Network-transparency and it doesn't work like I
> > expected. The documentations on aRts (from the homepage) and aRts-builder
> > (which seems to be the same) and the old KDevel2.0Book don't give me the
> > info I want.
> > I want to beam audio (and/or midi) around inside my network. Means from
> > my fast laptop to my tower with its good soundcard (wich has good midi
> > too).
>
> I never tried recording via network (I guess it is not available in this
> version of arts), but playback works here as follows:
> On the client:
> - enable "network transparency"
> - enable "Exchange security and reference info over the X11 server"
> - make sure you're allowed to access /dev/dsp on the server
> - execute `ssh -X your.server "artsd -n -l 0 - F 5 -S 8192"`
> - make sure the sound file you want to play for testing is available on
>   the same path on the server and the client
> - play it on the client with "artsplay yourfile.wav"
> This works for me, while noatun is crashing with this setup.
I will use Noatun, not good ig it crashes...

My Netwrok-access was meant more for playing the file on the fast Box
(Decoding the mp3, mixing with other sound my system makes) and then send all
to the box with the SBLive!.
Another goal is to be able to do 4-track recordings with 2 computers. This has
latency problems I know, but It should be possible...

BTW: In the much discussed directory kdenonbeta/knk/network I am trying to do
this for midi and perhaps sometimes for audio to.

Arnold