Arts-Network-transparency

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Thu Aug 29 20:59:07 BST 2002

   Hi!

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:27:50PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> My Netwrok-access was meant more for playing the file on the fast Box
> (Decoding the mp3, mixing with other sound my system makes) and then send all
> to the box with the SBLive!.
> Another goal is to be able to do 4-track recordings with 2 computers. This has
> latency problems I know, but It should be possible...
>
> BTW: In the much discussed directory kdenonbeta/knk/network I am trying to do
> this for midi and perhaps sometimes for audio to.

Sending midi events across the network should already work. A quick and fast
(and undocumented and *insecure*) way to get network transparency running is
to use

artsd -p 9877 -u

as server and

ARTS_SERVER=somehost:9877 artsplay /usr/local/foo.wav

on the client. You can do this with any app (such as artsdsp or artsbuilder),
and for sending midi events to the server especially "midisend" would be
interesting.

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany