Arts-Network-transparency

Cajus Pollmeier C.Pollmeier at gmx.net
Tue Aug 27 16:15:09 BST 2002

On Sonntag, 25. August 2002 00:09, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried the aRts-Network-transparency and it doesn't work like I
> expected. The documentations on aRts (from the homepage) and aRts-builder
> (which seems to be the same) and the old KDevel2.0Book don't give me the
> info I want.
>
> I want to beam audio (and/or midi) around inside my network. Means from my
> fast laptop to my tower with its good soundcard (wich has good midi too).
>
> I enabled Network-transparency on both artsd, but I don't know how this
> will help me...
>
> Then I tried to record from the one computer into a pipe which was inside a
> dir mounted by the other computer, where I wanted to play from this pipe.
> This didn't work either. It gave me no errors but It also gave me no sound
> and no artsrec appeared inside one of the audiomanagers.
>
> Can anybody help me?

I never tried recording via network (I guess it is not available in this version of
arts), but playback works here as follows:

On the client:
- enable "network transparency"
- enable "Exchange security and reference info over the X11 server"
- make sure you're allowed to access /dev/dsp on the server
- execute `ssh -X your.server "artsd -n -l 0 - F 5 -S 8192"`
- make sure the sound file you want to play for testing is available on
  the same path on the server and the client
- play it on the client with "artsplay yourfile.wav"

This works for me, while noatun is crashing with this setup.

Hope it helps,
-Cajus