Kontact Touch 4.8 Packages (conflict free installation)

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Fri Feb 24 17:00:23 UTC 2012

Hi Laszlo,

At Dienstag 21 Februar 2012 21:33:34 you wrote:
> > I'm still not sure how to handle the situation with the buildservice, as
> > I don't want / have the time to put up all our stuff in the OBS repo in a
> > quality so that it's not only tailored for KDEPIM while ensuring that the
> > rest of the software in the OBS can be installed on the phone and works
> > with kdepim :(
> > This is why I completly dropped all dependencies to the obs repo in the
> > latest version of those packages.
>
> Meanwhile I understand that you do not have time, and I do not find it
> a good idea to have duplicated effort, especially about the KDE stack
> which is a huge one. I could give a helping hand with integrating to a
> certain kind, but it would be nice if we could somehow manage to work
> together. It now seems there is the Kolab way, and then there is the
> Community repository way. The goals are basically the same from KDE
> point of view: get it work.
Well I don't see that the Community repository is meant to be used on the
device with aegis enabled. To have a place to get your dependencies and then
build your "large blob" that the ovi store wants, it makes sense. But I don't
think it's meant to be a repository for Applications. So we can't seem to get
a "conflict free" installation from that.
I was also very frustrated last time i tried to use the OBS, i got wrong
errormessages / errors that i could not reproduce in scratchbox, changes were
intransparent, getting source packages is a hassle, etc. etc. thats apart
from the performance or stability.

This is not a "Kolab" thing or so I personally was just ready to bite my table
after fixing soprano in there and trying to get akonadi and another small
package, that i forgot the name of, to build in there.

> We do not have kdepim, akonadi and so on working. What are the biggest
> issues for integration, which packages ? I would have packaged kdepim
> along with the other packages I have made, but I have not personally
> used that on my mobile yet (mostly because of time lack).
Well the biggest issue I think is kdelibs and that you've based your packaging
on (i think it was ubuntu) and not the existing Maemo 5 Packages from KDE. So
now we use different names, have different dependencies build parameters etc.
Since the Maemo Packages from the komo branch in svn worked for KDEPIM for
~2Years now I'm also very reluctant to throw them away and start again with a
different basis.

I know that you did not think of the komo packages when you started packaging
KDE for harmattan but I think this is now the main problem, especially
kdelibs, from just swapping out the packages.

> There are also ideas to merge our debian KDE stack with the Plasma
> Active rpm stack, and go together in our way helping each other... Let
> us see what will come up to the reality.
We should really try to get a repository for this. I don't see it as a
practical way to grab/follow changes made to debian rules in an OBS.
Something like we have for komo (even including rules for non-kde software):
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/komo/packaging-master/
But in a git repository, one branch for maemo5, maemo6 meego etc etc.
This would easily allow us to review changes, see differences and follow the
same direction.
Currently this "pre VCS" way of grabbing each others debian.tar.gz's and
comparing them is not working and I can't see it working in the future.

Once we work on the same packaging rules it really won't matter if one of us
uses OBS or Treepackager or just builds on a local machine to actually create
and publish the binaries.
I think this would be the best way now to move forward and increase
transparency and cooperation so that duplicated packaging won't happen again
by accident.

Do you agree with that?

Regards,
Andre