Harmattan Ovi Store and dependencies (seems to be possible)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Sun Dec 4 22:02:34 UTC 2011

> This does not make any sense, there are programs out there with
> dependencies
> that are not made by Nokia, so if they can do it, why not us?

GOF2 is developed by Nokia in Vancouver. As you mentioned to me on
IRC: "series finale is by someone that works/worked at nokia at
least."

Let me explain it a bit more according to my current understanding:

The device has so called "apps" repository enabled by default, and
some of the packages in Nokia Store have dependencies that can be
satisfied with packages from there.

I think it has been added for convenience for Nokians. When we have
developed Store applications inside Nokia walls, but something that an
actual 3rd party developer does not have, for instance an additional
repository for libraries and other dependencies. It is probably also
one of the biggest fails in "3rd party developer story": leaving the
device without a proper application manager which can install all
kinds of packages and add new repositories.

>From technical point of view, I do not see any obstacles. As for me,
It seems more like just a decision. Thereby, a simple control file
entry, like Depends-line" is enough where the dependency is hidden in
Ovi store by using the "user/hdden" section in the control file of the
dependency. It will be phisically there and that is the reason why it
is available for installation. Hence it is not a problem to install a
"helloworld" application along with it is hidden dependency that way.
This is just a technical thought so. It does not play, if Nokia does
not allow you to do this in fact.

Hope it helps (at least with the understanding of the situation).

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp