Merge of some consolidation stuff and staging on build.pub.meego.com

Stephan Binner stephan.binner at basyskom.de
Wed Aug 17 14:23:41 UTC 2011

> we're talking on two parallel tracks here. I'm not talking about splitting,

I don't remember any different package splitting between openSUSE and MeeGo,
at least no new one we introduced while cleaning up. Maybe I missed some
differences introduced by some packages imported from Fedora.

> I'm talking about random renaming of existing packages. The examples brought
> by Maurice were: "e.g. kde4-filesystem --> kde-filesystem and kdebase4-

Why random renaming? If you look at the current Project:KDE:Devel state then
some packages had the "4" in source/binary package names and some not. That's
now consistently renamed to not contain "4" and reflect new git repo names.

The renamed packages contain proper "provides" and "obsoletes" btw...

> introduced the "4" in their package naming for a reason IIRC it made the
> major version transition easier, we'll hit something similar at some point.

Possible but nobody knows if ever two KDE versions will be shipped within a
MeeGo release and even then transitions can be done without "kde5-" or "5".

> > When comparing packages between oS and MeeGo, they're already quite
> > different, since openSUSE's OBS does a lot of checks, uses tons of macros
> Well, any reason for dropping those? (AFAIK we could get the same checks
> and macros on the meego one, I don't completely know the magic though)

I don't remember stuff being dropped that makes openSUSE-only checks pass.

For the macros part we had to change (the usage of) some like %cmake_kde4 and
kde4_runtime_requires because they can be used with yaml only in certain way.

> Note however that at the end of the day I won't make the packages anyway.

You would not notice any lost (automatic) synergies anyway as there were not
many before anyway due to different reasons: MeeGo using yaml generated .spec
files, openSUSE OBS not having/linking to MeeGo Trunk, no submit requests
possible between OBS servers, many smaller differences like different rpm
group names etc.

I don't think that I have seen efficient cross-distro packaging in openSUSE
OBS yet (not even speaking about anything bigger than a single app) - it all
ends up with tons of %if distro checks and obscure mapping/project configs.

> But, it's clear that the current situation is wasting resource while for
> the MeeGo/openSUSE case we have opportunities to reduce that waste (as
> they're close enough in packaging structure and workflow).

The MeeGo workflow with maintaining (and also "enforcing" consistency of)
packages with yaml files is IMO quite different.

Bye,
   Stephan