Merge of some consolidation stuff and staging on build.pub.meego.com

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Aug 18 06:07:03 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 17 August 2011 16:23:41 Stephan Binner wrote:
> > I'm talking about random renaming of existing packages. The examples
> > brought by Maurice were: "e.g. kde4-filesystem --> kde-filesystem and
> > kdebase4-
> Why random renaming? If you look at the current Project:KDE:Devel state then
> some packages had the "4" in source/binary package names and some not.
> That's now consistently renamed to not contain "4" and reflect new git repo
> names.

I'm aware of the consistency we had in the meego repo. Here, I was talking
about the extra inconsistency it creates with the openSUSE naming scheme. My
position was: to solve inconsistency within a repository, settling on a naming
scheme used in another distro is of higher value than introducing a different
one.

Hope that clarifies.

> For the macros part we had to change (the usage of) some like %cmake_kde4
> and kde4_runtime_requires because they can be used with yaml only in
> certain way.
> > Note however that at the end of the day I won't make the packages
> > anyway.
>
> You would not notice any lost (automatic) synergies anyway as there were not
> many before anyway due to different reasons: MeeGo using yaml generated
> .spec files, openSUSE OBS not having/linking to MeeGo Trunk, no submit
> requests possible between OBS servers, many smaller differences like
> different rpm group names etc.

On a different note though, I seem to remember at the OBS session during
Desktop Summit that they had plans to improve the synergy between different
servers (don't have my notes around though).

> I don't think that I have seen efficient cross-distro packaging in openSUSE
> OBS yet (not even speaking about anything bigger than a single app) - it all
> ends up with tons of %if distro checks and obscure mapping/project configs.
> > But, it's clear that the current situation is wasting resource while for
> > the MeeGo/openSUSE case we have opportunities to reduce that waste (as
> > they're close enough in packaging structure and workflow).
>
> The MeeGo workflow with maintaining (and also "enforcing" consistency of)
> packages with yaml files is IMO quite different.

So be it then, as I said I'm not going to maintain the packages in the end
anyway. I'm just making sure this point got properly explored before further
divergence is introduced (our resources are too limited to afford not doing
so).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net