Merge of some consolidation stuff and staging on build.pub.meego.com

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Aug 17 12:18:09 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 17 August 2011 12:56:14 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 20:11:24 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > I'm not sure those two are going in the right direction overall. The
> > package  naming, and the use of macros were meant to keep the opensuse
> > packaging and the meego one as close as possible. The aim being to avoid
> > spreading the resources thin.
> >
> > The fact that Plasma Active is currently packaged for both opensuse and
> > meego  is especially telling on the fact that its a valid goal. It's
> > IMHO
> > worth keeping the delta between both package sets as small as possible,
> > and the proposed changes deviate from that a lot.
>
> I don't see a huge problem with that. The openSUSE packages are still very
> big and built for desktop, having something closer to our Git layout is I
> think going into the right direction, more modular, more frameworky, easier
> to package when git repo == package scope. So I think there's something to
> be gained here.
>
> I suppose the openSUSE packages would also benefit from further splitting,
> although they're already split internally (i.e. one tarball builds multiple
> packages, for example for workspace).

I think we're talking on two parallel tracks here. I'm not talking about
splitting, I'm talking about random renaming of existing packages. The
examples brought by Maurice were:
"e.g. kde4-filesystem --> kde-filesystem and kdebase4-runtime --> kde-runtime"

Those packages already exist in openSUSE, I don't see the point in changing
the name, or at least without coordination with the openSUSE people. Again my
point being about avoiding diluted efforts on the packaging (and from the rest
of your email we're trading short term convenience for long term resource
waste).

Oh, and also it'd avoid to recreate mistakes (standing on the shoulders of
others and all that), as for instance they introduced the "4" in their package
naming for a reason, IIRC it made the major version transition easier, we'll
hit something similar at some point.

> When comparing packages between oS and MeeGo, they're already quite
> different, since openSUSE's OBS does a lot of checks, uses tons of macros.

Well, any reason for dropping those? (AFAIK we could get the same checks and
macros on the meego one, I don't completely know the magic though)

Note however that at the end of the day I won't make the packages anyway. But,
it's clear that the current situation is wasting resource while for the
MeeGo/openSUSE case we have opportunities to reduce that waste (as they're
close enough in packaging structure and workflow).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net