Merge of some consolidation stuff and staging on build.pub.meego.com

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Aug 17 10:56:14 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Tuesday, August 16, 2011 20:11:24 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> I'll extract below the couple of points which sound dangerous to me.
>
> On Monday 15 August 2011 12:48:41 Maurice de la Ferte wrote:
> > Here a big picture about
> >
> > changes I liked to merge:
> >

> > - Change OBS package names to upstream repository package names
> >
> >   (e.g. kde4-filesystem --> kde-filesystem and kdebase-runtime -->
> >    kde-runtime ... ).
> >
> > [...]
> > - Overhaul kde macro defines in kde4-filesystem and usage in depending
> >
> >   packages.
>
> I'm not sure those two are going in the right direction overall. The
> package  naming, and the use of macros were meant to keep the opensuse
> packaging and the meego one as close as possible. The aim being to avoid
> spreading the resources thin.
>
> The fact that Plasma Active is currently packaged for both opensuse and
> meego  is especially telling on the fact that its a valid goal. It's IMHO
> worth keeping the delta between both package sets as small as possible,
> and the proposed changes deviate from that a lot.

I don't see a huge problem with that. The openSUSE packages are still very big
and built for desktop, having something closer to our Git layout is I think
going into the right direction, more modular, more frameworky, easier to
package when git repo == package scope. So I think there's something to be
gained here.

I suppose the openSUSE packages would also benefit from further splitting,
although they're already split internally (i.e. one tarball builds multiple
packages, for example for workspace).

When comparing packages between oS and MeeGo, they're already quite different,
since openSUSE's OBS does a lot of checks, uses tons of macros.

Maurice: What gains did you have in mind, i.e. why did you start splitting in
the first place?

Cheers,
--
sebas