[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Wanted: Help us to let Kontact Mobile stand the real world test

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Mon Nov 8 22:10:09 CET 2010

Am Montag, 8. November 2010 schrieb Björn Balazs:
> Hi,
>
> first of all:
> There is a new unstable version of Kontact Mobile out. More details on this
> will follow from Björn R. probably tomorrow.
>
> Now my wish:
> With our Kontact Mobile project we are founded till the end of this year.
> While Kontact is already doing pretty well on the mobile phones - esp. on
> the N900, but also on the HTC Touch Pro 2, we still think the project
> would profit very much from getting more feedback from the real world.

Ok, you want another rant. You get one ;) Only KMail and Kalendar as I don't
have tested anything more until now.

I updated to PR1.3 meanwhile. Tonight I saw the update and installed it. First
impression was: wow. The startup was way faster than any time before, most
things are properly lokalized to German, the month lines in the mail view make
things better visible.

The mail view doesn't want to update for me, it always shows the mails it last
downloaded in October (when I last opened it with the old version). When I ask
to synchronize all accounts nothing changes. I tried to look for a new IMAP
folder I created meanwhile. But I can't find it because every time I go to the
second folder level below an IMAP inbox Kmail crashes. Trying to show a folder
with messages and subfolders (first level) -> crash. Then I opened my spam
folder and randomly tried to view some mails. Mails show up. But the content
is not the one of the mail I just selected, but some random one. It only
changes like every 10th time. Maybe this just takes ages to reload and I don't
wait long enough? If I open a new IMAP folder I get this spinning wheel so I
guess that would work with the message view, too.

Ok, Kalendar. Once again told hin in which IMAP folder the groupware stuff is.
Still nothing shows up. Tried to edit again: the IMAP account is again reset
to my default one. Every time. Ok, try to just create a new event. This widget
to enter the time looks stunning beautiful. But it's painfully unusable. The
clock is the biggest item on the whole screen, but it's impossible to do any
interaction with it. It took me a while to find out I must highlight the
numbers on the right side and then flick them up and down to get any change.
Which usually goes way too far. Cursor buttons? Nothing happens. I currently
get the clock widget showing 10:00 while the numbers show 6:0. Should be "00".
Any time you click on the clock widget it spins back to 10:00 while the
numbers stay where you put them. Even worse: it seems like what the clock
shows is the "real" time, i.e. it thinks it is back to 10:00 which is the
original time so I can't click ok.

The date widget showed up with 1-1-2000, why not the current date? Then it
took two times to update the date in the event. I updated the date in the date
window and just flicked it out. The event did not update (ok, should have
pressed ok probably). But when I clicked on the date again it showed the
values I selected there. Tried some more times, also with the time: no, the
selected time is only applied into the event randomly. Maybe it get's the
clock widget and the numbers confused half of the time and applies the wrong
time. Small note: when flicking the numbers up and down they appear somewhere
outside the widget and are scrolled through. Maybe the should show up only
inside the window? Also for my feeling they are much to far away from each
other.

I would really love to see this working. This has so much possibilities, I
love it. Really. If I'm doing everything wrong just tell me and I will do it
different. But currently I'm feeling like a kid being sent to T**s'R'*s to
choose something for Xmas, Santa Clause, Birthsday and Eastern and then sent
home with nothing. This is such an impressive piece of software. And for me it
is completely useless as not the smallest bit is usable in any way. Not
because it's unusable, but because it simply doesn't work at all. And it's not
that things would not work, it looks for me that it's only the smallest bit at
the end that it's missing. Too bad.

Really, this is nearly there. It is closer to the best PIM suite on a
smartphone than everything I've seen before. And I just can't wait to see it
getting there. But it simply doesn't work for me.

Eike