[Kde-mobile-users] Experiences

JP Horst jphorst at sciencebridge.de
Thu Dec 9 10:39:31 CET 2010

Dear list,

as a non-developper from the "real-world" I want to give some initial feedback:

I use an N900 and actually bought it just recently, because of KMobile and the access it gives to our Kolab server.
Thank you for your effort!

Initially installation somehow went wrong and I had to de- and reinstall.
There seemed to be some confusion between the "testing" and a non-existent "unstable" section for the repository.
One problem was also a conflict with the package clucene-core (a dependency of the packages katana or rapier). The conflict seems to be with the package libclucene0ldbl. Somehow a duplication.

Setup: In order to not replicate all mails I use a separate mobil account which has read and write rights to the top level inbox of my main account. As a consequence my mails show up under "shared folders". This now works fine.

A little explanation on the website as to what the different symbols mean would be nice though. It is not quit clear to me what the blue bar under the user ID  stands for.

Suggestion: A separate icon with opened emails for quickly deleting them (without pulling out the menu etc.) would be handy.

The email downloading is not intuitive to me. Mails show up automatically (probably due to the email checking interval), but not necessarily right away when I select "Synchronize emails in folder" manually (which I would prefer). This does not seem to be responsive or delays make this counter-intuitive (the connection is through openvpn).

Criticism: The power consumption / CPU load of the software is really high. With KMail open my N900 hardly last the 8-12h of one workday. When travelling (and this would be the main scenario of use) this is really a critical aspect.

Upgrading: As far as I now the application (Testing repository) did not apply any upgrade within the last maybe two weeks through the standard softwaremanager. Is there a separate upgrade approach or were there simply no changes lately?

In general I value this application very much. Other aspects of usablity are very nice.

Thanks again
JP