[KDE/Mac] org.kde.KLauncher service not found [help]

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Oct 2 08:32:42 UTC 2015

On Friday 02 October 2015 10:07:23 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Thursday October 01 2015 20:21:59 David Faure wrote:
>
> Something was nagging at the back of my mind, so please allow me to come back to this:
>
> >[klauncher is] supposed to be started at the very beginning, by kdeinit (at least on Linux).
>
> Who takes care of that, and how does it find kdeinit - supposed to be in the path?

Re-read, it's the other way round

* kdeinit starts
* it creates a socket on a well-known path
* it forks and starts klauncher
* klauncher connects to kdeinit using the above socket

> And how is this supposed to happen on OS X? Was I just lucky that somehow it always worked?
> Ian; you're the author of the workaround-kdeinit4-crash patch, no? Any thoughts?
> (IIRC, that patch works around the fact that OS X disallows exec after fork.)

I had a look at the ifdefs Q_*_MAC in the code, and above seems valid even on Mac.
See start_klauncher() and launch() in kinit.cpp

Unless of course the patch you mention wasn't committed, that makes it harder
for me to see what's going on...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5