[KDE/Mac] qt5-mac-devel -> KF5

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 00:25:36 UTC 2015

Hi René,

Thanks for the info about +concurrent.  It still looks rather complicated to
me.  Maybe I will just install and use Qt 5 the kdesrc-build way.  But I think
it has been important to do an independent test of qt5-mac-devel, and now
we know the build works on more than one config… :-)

On 17/02/2015, at 7:49 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Tuesday February 17 2015 13:17:49 Ian Wadham wrote:
>>   2. IF I install qt4-mac +concurrent, what two values do I use for setting
>>       $QTDIR to pick up either qt4-mac +concurrent or qt5-mac-devel in my
>>       non-MacPorts development areas for KDE 4 and KF5/Frameworks?
>
> That I don't know.  I'm still not convinced you need to use QTDIR if you build using
> qmake-qt4 or qmake-qt5 or let the projects' build systems figure out the lay of the
> land through qtchooser and/or cmake.

I think you must have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.  I do not use the
Unix environment variable QTDIR when *building* Qt and never have.

Its importance to me is to point out the location of Qt libraries when developing,
debugging or testing various versions of KDE 4 apps and libraries.  For example,
when developing KDE games, I have in my setup script:

# The location for any software you are not building yourself (default)
export MACPORTS_PREFIX=/opt/local

# The directories for the KDE software you ARE building yourself
# These follow the structure assumed by kdesrc-build
export KDE_SRC=$KDEBASE                 # Local repositories and source code
export KDE_BUILD=$KDE_SRC/build         # Working directory for builds
# Note: Comprehensive logs are kept in $KDE_SRC/log by kdesrc-build.
</snip>

# Set up the Qt environment
# Use Qt from MacPorts or change QTDIR if building your own version of Qt
export QTDIR=$MACPORTS_PREFIX            # Contains bin, include, lib and share
if test "$QTDIR" != "$MACPORTS_PREFIX"; then
    export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
fi

And, until now, I have been using MacPorts' current qt4-mac port, but I have to
tell any build I do in KDE that Qt is in /opt/local, otherwise it will look in standard
OS X places and will not find Qt.  Then my build of KDE libraries, or even of just a
game and the game libraries, taking kdelibs4 from MacPorts, will fail miserably.

If I wish to start developing and testing games in KF5/Frameworks, the simplest
thing for me would probably be to build qt5-mac in my own test-area, as Jeremy
has.  Then I would export something like QTDIR=/kdedevel/kf5/qt5.  But when we
have qt4-mac and qt5-mac concurrently installed in MacPorts, I will need to point
QTDIR to one or the other (in separate scripts), depending on whether I am
working on a KDE 4 or KF 5 game, app or library today.

That was the intent of my original question.

Cheers, Ian W.