[KDE/Mac] systemsettings, kde-cli-tools and other plasma components on non-Plasma/non-X11 platforms

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Dec 21 12:21:50 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:05 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This has been pending for a while, ever since we (= KDE/Mac) learned that the kde4-workspace package was split up and integrated into KF5 Plasma, but it may actually be relevant beyond "Plasma vs. the rest of the world" questions.
>
> I hope this can be discussed with a sufficient amount of open-mindedness and flexibility.
>
> The KDE Workspace API docs page (http://api.kde.org/4.9-api/kde-workspace-apidocs/index.html) kicks off with a rather clear statement that seems a little, excusez le mot, short sighted:
>
> "This is where the components that are only used when KDE is providing a complete desktop environment live."
>
> I do not want to contest that there are indeed such components in there. But there are also components that *do* make sense outside of a full Plasma session, components that were the initial and main reason we provide a kde4-workspace port for OS X.
>
> At least part of the utilities provided by kde-cli-tools and an application like systemsettings are definitely useful even when not running a full Plasma session, as they are required to configure components that are independent of the session type. Someone could want to use KMail under a Unity, Gnome or KDE4 session, or use Konqueror5 ... and the same could be said for OS X or MS Windows users. In fact, one of my main motives to bother with KDE and KF5 at all is the fact that I use Kontact (KMail, KNode etc), and hope that one day in a near future I will be able to upgrade from the KDE4 version I am using at the moment. On OS X and on Linux systems which I may to keep to a KDE4 desktop otherwise.
>
> kde-cli-tools and systemsettings5 are required to configure
> 1 wallet settings (regardless of whether KWallet uses native KDE wallets or an OS X keychain backend)
Makes sense, probably should be moved to KWallet?

> 2 cookies and other html/browser related settings
What does it configure? is it only for KHtml?

> 3 akonadi/PIM settings
It should probably go to PIM.

> 4 fonts, icons and palette settings
> 5 style settings
> 6 interface settings like "click once or twice to open", "show icons in buttons/menus" etc.

Here, it should integrate with the OS, IMHO. Like Plasma, OS X should
have a place where to configure those.

I don't think it's fair of us to ask the users on OS X to know the
application is special and that they need to go to a special place to
configure some details of how the application is going to behave.

Regarding kio-cli-tools, these should be cross-platform and were never
meant to be part of plasma. It probably would even make sense to move
it to KDE Applications now?

Aleix