[KDE/Mac] systemsettings, kde-cli-tools and other plasma components on non-Plasma/non-X11 platforms

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:03:09 UTC 2015

Sebastian Kügler wrote:

>> > Did you check of X11 dependencies? At least some of the font settings
>> > depend on X11.
>>
>> Thanks, will do. Makes sense: hinting and AA settings are moot outside of
>> X11. However: my Linux build should pick up all required X11 deps so
>> something else must be going on too.

Here's what: the fonts KCM and an as-yet unidentified number of others that make
sense outside of Plasma/X11 are in the plasma-desktop package. Just looking at
the directory names I see the following aspects that could be relevant
everywhere: colours, desktoppaths(?), the desktoptheme, emoticons, fonts,
formats (?), icons, keys (?) knotify, lookandfeel, migrationlib (?), phonon,
spellchecking, standard_actions (?), style (?) and translations.

Taking the "front-door" CMake file to build those is going to require a lot of
hacking so I guess I'm going to have to take a case-by-case approach...

Re: phonon: that's of course the engine used for sound production in Qt
applications, also on OS X. I started working with Harald sometime back this
year to use new features of libVLC to get access to multiple sound devices when
present, so OS X supports assigning different devices to different sound
categories (notifications, music, videos, etc). I stopped hearing from him; it'd
be nice to pick this back up at some point.