[KDE/Mac] Upgrade to 4.13.3 in Macports
nicos at macports.org
Sat Sep 13 08:50:14 UTC 2014
I have been pretty backlogged during the past weeks, but I am gradually getting back to it, and am planning to upgrade KDE on Macports to 4.13.3.
As there has been quite some work done, I would gladly take some feedback on what to integrate in the upgrade. For the sake of stability, I would tend to focus on the upgrade itself and possibly some patches, but perhaps not adding too much features at once, in order to ease problem identification if/when failure reports come from users.
The main changes that I would include in 4.13.3 are:
- Review of all dependencies, in order to make several implicit ones now explicit
- Addition of ports baloo (baloo and baloo-widgets). There are not used automatically for now, but a variant is added to nepomuk-core and kde4-baseapps to include the dependency. Kdepim4 also requires baloo, as it can’t compile without it, but it would not be activated. As it would not be readily used for now, the nepomuk dependency would be kept. There are also probably some services to take care of before baloo could really be used.
- The patch of René to avoid a crash from kwindow (https://reviewboard.kde.org/r/119240/). This one is already committed in KDE 4.14, so it seems logical to add it at once.
There are then some patches that I would consider rather safe to include:
- Use of OSX keychain (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119838/) This seems like a nice feature, with its use based on a variant, which would thus be mainly “on demand”.
In addition to these, there are then several patches, where I am not sure if they should be included at once, or left out for now and included later.
- KCrash and Dr. Konqi (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119497/ and https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/119498/). There has been apparently quite some debate, and apparently, Ian, you are still working on a more elaborate solution for this problem, right? Therefore, should the present patches be used in the meantime, or are they not yet mature enough?
- Native file dialogs (https://reviewboard.kde.org/r/119243/). This seems to be deeper changes, that I would tend to leave out for now in order to see how 4.13 is going first.
- System trays menus (https://reviewboard.kde.org/r/120149/). Again, these would be changes I would leave out for now to test 4.13 first.
There are also some proposed changes in kdepim4, but I did not look at them yet.
Any input welcome on this, would it be about the patches above, or something else I may have missed.
More information about the kde-mac