[KDE/Mac] A Catch 22 problem with committing

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Sep 1 20:33:49 UTC 2014

El Dilluns, 1 de setembre de 2014, a les 10:25:37, René J.V. Bertin va
escriure:
> On Sep 01, 2014, at 09:39, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> >> We are still using KDE 4.12 on Apple Mac and about to start with KDE
> >> 4.13, but libs on both of those are closed to backports --- and no
> >> longer released(?).  I could commit to KDE 4.14 libs, but there are only
> >> a few months left before they close too.>
> > Would it be possible to leave those open for fixes related to platforms on
> > which KF5 cannot be run in "production mode" (i.e. by a nice large user
> > base). I haven't really yet apprehended how long KF5 is supposed to
> > contain KDE4 bacwards compatibility layers, but it seems clear that
> > (platform-specific) improvements/fixes to KDE4 are likely to be useful
> > for KF5 too. At least if my experience with kwallet and kauth are any
> > indication.
> Forgot to add: Are there many changes from KDE 4.13(.3) to KDE
> 4.14(.latest), does it have big changes like the move to Baloo in the
> transition from .12 to .13? If not, I suppose it'd be very useful to try to
> move to .14 ASAP, so that we still have time to propose fixes against that
> branch while it's still open. (We = MacPorts users)

Please stop CC'ing me this kind of generic questions. I'm not specially
interested in MacOSX and I (nor probably anyone at this point) as a complete
view of changes introduced in KDE Application releases.

You can probably read the announcement, from what it's in there, i'd say it's
mostly smaller bits here and there.

Cheers,
  Albert