[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 04:29:48 UTC 2014

Hi René,

On 29/11/2014, at 9:47 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday November 29 2014 14:28:05 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> In general, Shell environment variables are a threatened species in Apple OS X,
>
> Why would you say that, Ian? As long as OS X is Unix-based they won't go anywhere ... Of course that doesn't mean that OS X software will use them abundantly, but it is perfectly possible to set them in a way that every piece of software has access to them if needed. Either through a lowlevel shell rc file, or user-specific via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist .
>
> BTW, I noticed that good old "Property List Editor" from the 3.2 Xcode still functions under 10.9.

I forget exactly where this came up before, but I certainly wanted to use Qt's standard
globals to enable Raster Graphics, however the word was that Apple are phasing out things
like environment.plist, as a security measure.  Also it was hard to get Qt's command-line
option for Raster Graphics into a KDE app execution via icons in /Applications/MacPorts.
So I had to settle for patching kapplication.cpp code at the point where it starts QApplication.

Of course, it is fine to use environment variables when you are working from the
command-line, even if you are using "open /Applications/..." to start an app.  I use
them all the time, especially to isolate one Qt or KDE library from another.

>> If you have any further troubles with Perl, the Macports Users mailing list has much
>> more expertise on Perl than the virtual zero I possess… :-)  To subscribe, see:
>
> Second that!

Second what?  My lack of expertise in Perl?… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.