[KDE/Mac] Success at last (sort of)

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:24:50 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 29/05/2014, at 6:11 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> On 29 May 2014, at 08:52 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>>      Then the application crashes and you get dyld error messages, similar to the above, saying that
>>       29/05/14 4:14:57.476 PM [0x0-0x3c03c].kbounce: dyld: Library not loaded: lib/libphonon.4.dylib … etc.
>>       Dolphin crashes in the same way.
> Hmmm...
> Phonon is a frequent source of trouble. :/

Tell me about it.  Phonon has been a constant source of trouble
to KDE Games for about six years …  It just does not work well on
short sounds in real time.  Most sound-intensive KDE games are
using OpenAL now, via KgSound in libkdegames.

> Anyway, do you actually get sound on your KDE installation?
> I never had it.

See above … :-) … but Phonon works in Linux, in a way, though I never tried it
on Apple OS X.  The OpenAL sounds in KDE Games work OK.  Try KGoldrunner.

> This is why hydrogen got a phonon-vlc backend up and running a few days ago.

Yeah, well.  First it was Xine backend being recommended, then it was
GStreamer and now it's VLC …  Those Phonon guys cannot seem to make
up their minds … :-)

BTW the standalone VLC package works well for me at playing movies
and .ogg files on the MacBook Pro.

Cheers, Ian W.