[KDE/Mac] Repository for patches to fix KDE Problems on OS X

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Fri Jun 27 07:00:55 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 27 Jun 2014, at 03:43 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where have you been? :-)
on a long holiday with my younger daughter. :)

> Are we going to let Homebrew people have a look?  I don't see why not.
Well, they can have a look as we can have a look at their patches, right? :)

> Meanwhile, development of baloo, especially in the KF 5 version, is
> proceeding at supersonic speed.
Yep, Qt5/KF5 is why I was focusing on getting the KDE/CI system for
OSX/MacPorts to work in the last while…

> However, as soon as anyone sets up a CI environment for KDE on Apple
> OS X, osx-patches and the existing patches MacPorts has for KDE will be
> suddenly in demand, I predict.  Otherwise, the CI will crash all over the
> landscape on day one.
… and last night I wanted to send an update to the list, but got stopped,
because I suddenly made a little more progress patching Qt5 itself to suit
the CI system’s need regarding QStandardPaths.

Well, for now I might say this:

After having been in a almost exclusively bilateral discussion with Ben Cooksley
I thought it would be good to update you all about the status of our efforts to
set up a MacPorts-based KDE/CI-system on OSX for Qt5/KF5:

 1) The KDE/CI system is eventually able to successfully build all frameworks
    of tiers 1 to 4 relevant for OSX. (Not all frameworks have successfully
    running tests yet, though.)
    But, Ian, see we are far from your scenario where the KDE/CI system is
    failing on OSX in all possible corners - instead we’ve got the rather
    comfortable situation of overall successful builds and installs! :)

 2) I’ve added a few bash scripts to [1] which ease the build/install of the
    various KF5 frameworks, which allow a relatively quick build of all
    frameworks despite quite a few failing tests which need some manual
    intervention.

For the jenkins build slave to work it is necessary that one can define standard
search paths for application data (and probably also for the application bundle
directory). On Linux this can be achieved somehow, but on Windows as well as
here on OSX the Qt5 has some trouble in QStandardPaths! There has been some
discussion on kde-frameworks-devel [2] about it and this is where I progressed
last night… :)

I have posted already on Qt-dev [3], but I don’t expect response…

Check out [4] if you want to learn more about the current status of the KDE/CI
system.

  Summarising - I am rather optimistic that we will get a full-blown
  jenkins build slave up and running on OSX in the nearer future!!!

Will proceed responding to your other post.

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/sdk/macports-kde/repository/revisions/master/show/contrib/scripts/KDECI
[2] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2014-May/016059.html
[3] http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/44258/
[4] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/KDEProblems/KDEMacPortsCI/Status