[KDE/Mac] Giving up on kdeinit4 and friends

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 11:50:50 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 30/08/2014, at 6:53 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
>> I have decided to give up beating my head against a brick wall.
>
> I meant to respond to this already yesterday, but I simply don't have
> enough time to respond appropriately due to lack of time. Sort of the
> same holds for the next few days.

Did you get your ui.rc files and icons going?  I've been hanging here
in suspense… :-)

> So, I just want say that it makes me quite sad to hear that after all
> your digging into DrKonqi you didn't get the support you begged for.

Yeah.  But I still intend to batter Dr K into some sort of shape.  I might
even update the Bugzilla interface if I can, to keep up with the latest
changes in Bugzilla software, which are moving away from using
cookies.  That is a looming problem in KF5 too, Ben tells me, but
I don't feel I owe the Frameworks guys any favours… ;-)

> All I want to state for now - shortly - is that I believe that we need
> to get active in KF5, since that will guarantee us more attention on
> K-F-D! I have to say that I generally got a lot of support there. If we
> fix things on KF5 that might be back-portable to KDE4…

Sorry, I'd love to help you personally, Marko, but KF5 is one of the main
reasons I announced my retirement from KDE Games programming
early this year… apart from advancing age and a little forgetfulness… :-)

I have been through two or three KDE and Qt upheavals already and am
heartily sick of having to re-program my apps.  Object-oriented libraries
are supposed to -reduce- the need for maintenance, not -generate- it [1].

> I am very thankful for your work on KDE, Ian, and I admire your stamina!
> Please, keep going.

Thank you.  I will.  MacPorts users deserve to get a decent break out of KDE
software and it is them I care about, even though I was "core developer" for
a large part of my work career.

> You could support me with the OSX/CI system and once we've got that set
> up correctly we can introduce KF5 ports for MacPorts, so that testing
> KF5 on OSX in real life can begin.

You forget that, for some time to come, there will be a backlog of KDE
applications to be ported --- twice --- from KDE 4 to KF 5 and then to
MacPorts.  So what use will KF 5 be to us without a large body of apps?

Cheers, Ian W.

[1] "Object-oriented Software Construction", by Bertrand Meyer, 1988.